Craig School of Business
It is important that you know the “Exchange Visitor Program” visa (J-1 visa) procedures, in order to get all of your immigration settled and arrive safely in the United States. This process includes getting a DS-2019 from Fresno State, completing appropriate application forms, scheduling visa interview, and providing required visa documents. As each individual has different experiences, here are the basic steps you should follow and what you may expect during the process:
- Pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee (Student and Exchange Visitor Programs). It is required all prospective F and J students to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee, before the U.S. Department of State issues you a visa. I-901 SEVIS Fee is associated with your DS-2019 SEVIS number (N00XXXXXXXXX) and is separate from Visa fee.
- Identify the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in your country for you to visit.
- Visit the embassy or consulate website and follow the instructions on the site to:
- Complete a Nonimmigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) Form
- Pay the visa fee
- Get a list of all required documents you must bring
- Schedule your visa interview appointment
- Visit the embassy on the date and time of your visa interview, bring along with the support documents.