Craig School of Business
Craig International Buddy Program
The Craig International Buddy Program matches local Craig School of Business students with International students in order to promote intercultural friendship and awareness. This program provides students with support and a point of contact to assist their transition into Fresno State. The commitment is for one academic semester, unless you and your buddy decide to extend the commitment.
All participants must agree to the following criteria:
- Actively participate in the program for the duration of the academic semester
- Spend time with your buddy at least once a month
- Be accessible via phone and email
- Respect your buddy’s time and other obligations
- Respect your buddy’s views (religious, political, etc.)
- Respect all Fresno State rules and the laws of California and the US
Buddies are current Craig School of Business students volunteering to support new international students through various social activities. Buddies are a support network that act as a transition agent to new students. They facilitate events to allow the students to make new friends, learn to navigate California (especially Fresno), create fun memories, and learn American culture. Moreover, buddies are an integral part for new international students to guide and support their time at Fresno State and in the United States.
As a buddy, you will ease the transition for international students by welcoming and providing them with the support they need to enjoy their time at Fresno State. You will get the opportunity to help the students by:
- Teaching them about American culture
- Providing tips on how to navigate Fresno
- Facilitating opportunities for students to feel welcome at Fresno State and connect with each other
You not only get to share your knowledge, but you will also be involved with meeting students at the airport, participating in formal and informal events, and activities and trips on and off campus throughout the semester.
The Craig International Buddy Program is an unpaid volunteer opportunity. You are required to attend the orientation meeting, as well as spend at least two hours a month with your buddy. You will need to have the skills and take the time to develop a positive relationship with the students to encourage open communication. This relationship should be thoughtful, non-judgmental, respectful, and consistent with the core values of Fresno State.
- Attend Fresno State sporting events
- Attend Farmer’s Market in Old Town Clovis (Summer and Fall)
- Attend Vintage Days (Spring)
- Meals together
- Take trips to other cities in California
- Study together
- Participate in University events
- Be creative, there are plenty of things to do with your buddy!